EMC announced new transformational solutions and services that are intended to help customers move workloads of SAP solutions to next-generation private cloud infrastructures. To help build a foundation for private cloud computing, EMC is also deepening its relationship with SAP and VMware® by integrating their respective services capabilities and helping customers accelerate full-lifecycle transformation of SAP applications to virtualized x86 environments. These new additions are expected to help and revolutionize IT organizations and operations by simplifying the design, planning and operation of on-premise cloud computing infrastructures that take advantage of the latest EMC, SAP and VMware technologies. Through a combination of services and solutions EMC, together with SAP and VMware, intends to enable customers running SAP solutions to simplify IT management and focus on innovation and competitive advantage while reducing costs.
New EMC Proven Solutions Tailored For Private Cloud Optimization of SAP Solutions
Customers making the transformation to on-premise cloud computing will seek to optimize their IT landscape to maximize productivity of SAP application-based workloads and the IT and Basis administrators responsible for managing them.
The EMC Proven Solution for private cloud computing running SAP solutions discusses common business drivers for private cloud computing as well as industry standard requirements. The solution documents the key components of a virtual stack designed to support a virtualized private cloud environment running SAP solutions. The solution may also facilitate high quality of service, optimization for performance, and ease of management, while helping to control costs through virtual infrastructure consolidation. Key components include the following:
- Maximized performance and scalability through EMC fully automated storage tiering (FAST VP™)
- IT management leveraging virtualized technology and integrated with SAP NetWeaver® Landscape Virtualization Management software
- Setup and deployment of virtual IT chargeback models
- Cloud stack monitoring across virtualized servers and infrastructure running SAP applications
- Non-stop operations and continuous data protection for SAP solutions with EMC RecoverPoint™ and VPLEX®
The EMC Proven Solution for automated disaster recovery of SAP solutions outlines how to extend private cloud infrastructures for disaster recovery across heterogeneous storage infrastructure as well as how to perform non-disruptive testing of disaster recovery plans. This solution leverages EMC RecoverPoint with VMware Site Recovery Manager to help provide customers disaster recovery using VMAX® and VNX® series interchangeably as production and disaster recovery storage for SAP applications and is expected to enable:
- Application consistent failover – fully automated failover across multiple storage systems with write-order integrity of SAP applications all in a matter of minutes
- Point-in-time recovery – granular recovery of SAP applications from a logical corruption without the need to restore and roll forward the entire database, accelerating recovery
- Non–disruptive failover testing – online testing through restoring a snapshot of SAP applications and encapsulating it in a private network during the test
The result is a disaster recovery plan that is anticipated to allow for non-disruptive testing to meet information security and audit requirements and help increase leverage of existing storage assets for higher return on investment.
Many customers have realized tremendous benefits in performance, agility and cost efficiency from deploying SAP solutions in private cloud infrastructures using EMC and VMware technologies.
New Services Can Accelerate Private Cloud Transformation of SAP Solutions
Working in collaboration with SAP and VMware, EMC is offering services designed to quickly and safely move workloads of SAP solutions to virtualized x86 environments that are high performing, easier and less expensive to manage.
Services available today address the complete lifecycle transformation of SAP applications, including:
- Initial blueprinting and design of virtualized x86 infrastructure
- IT operational process changes and planning
- SAP application and infrastructure migration planning, execution and testing
- Setup of efficient and agile data management of cloud-based environments running SAP solutions.
The initial phase of this collaboration is being executed in the EMEA region to help customers move their SAP solutions to virtualized x86 environments in less time and with less risk.